Education constitutes the priority of the actual President Administration in social and promoting productivity matters. Clear challenges have been identified and are an integral part of a strategy focused on the growth and constant improvement of the system.
With 81,55% literacy rate, Guatemala has a solid educational system offering a broad spectrum of technical degrees as well as graduate, master and post-graduate degrees.
- Twelve prestigious universities with 70 national-based sites are part of the recognized institutions integrating the country’s educational system. With a university-level population of over 200,000 students, Guatemala boasts the largest university level population in the Central American region
- Universidad Rafael Landívar, the largest private university in Central America, with more than 30.000 graduates is located in Guatemala, as well as Universidad de San Carlos, the largest public university in the Central American region and third-largest in Latin America, with 113,944 students.
- Renown higher education institutions from other countries (INCAE, Universidad Pontíficia de Salamanca, Universidad Católica de Chile) also have headquarters in Guatemala, where they offer post-graduate (masters and doctorate degrees) programs in the Guatemalan territory.
One of the country’s most prestigious institutions, in matters of training, is the Technical Training and Productivity Institute (INTECAP for its initials in Spanish). This institute caters to three occupational levels: Executive, Middle and Operational. Technicians specializing in Tourism, Hotel Management, Metal Mechanics, Information Technology, Finance, Textiles, Call Centers, Telemarketing and Telecommunications, among others, graduate from this institution each year.
- USAC - Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala
- UFM - Universidad Francisco Marroquín
- UGA - Universidad Galileo
- URL - Universidad Rafael Landívar
- USM - Universidad Salesiana Mesoamericana
- UMG - Universidad Mariano Gálvez de Guatemala
- UVG - Universidad del Valle de Guatemala
- UNIS - Universidad del Istmo
- UPANA - Universidad Panamericana
- URG - Universidad Rural de Guatemala
- UC - Universidad Católica de Guatemala Campus Guatemala
- UP - Universidad Popular (no es de enseñanza superior)
- USPG - Universidad San Pablo de Guatemala
- UNI - Universidad InterNaciones
For more information about Education visit Ministerio de Educacion at www.mineduc.gob.gt